The course is an optional part of the Graduate
School in Materials Science (also nfsm)
[Includes Materials Theory, 2p (FTF100) and 4p (FTF105),
thanks to the strong individualization within the course. See old homepage for comparison].
Teachers from the Materials and Surface Theory group, Applied
Physics, Chalmers/GU: Shiwu Gao, Per Hyldgaard, Bengt Lundqvist,
Mats Persson, Elsebeth Schröder, ...
Examiner and responsible for course: Bengt Lundqvist, Applied Physics
Aim: Introduction to practical use of
in the modern materials-research laboratory.
Lecture notes, copies of articles etc. will be distributed. It should be good to have a text book in the field available, like
- D. Pettifor, Bonding and structure of molecules and solids, Oxford (paperback);
- A. P. Sutton, Electronic structure of materials, Oxford (paperback);
- W. A. Harrison, Electronic structure and properties of solids, (1980);
- W. A. Harrison, Elementay electronic structures, (1999).
A book (that one has read) deserves its place on the bookshelf!
The course is given in the third quarter (läsperiod 3) and starts on Monday January 19, at 10.00 a.m. in Delfinen, Soliden, 2nd floor.
Lecture schedule ->
- Mondays 10.00 - 11.45 in Delfinen, Soliden, 2nd floor.
- Fridays 11.00 - 11.30 and 12.00 - 13.00 in Delfinen, Soliden, 2nd floor.
Typically done in a quiz, homework, and project style, with written and oral reports, and a final dialogue with the examiner.
Sign up on our electronic sign-up list. More on computer projects ->
Much of the work on this course will be spent on an individual project (preceded by some "exercise" projects). Read more
Textansvarig: Bengt Lundqvist